Interpersonal Communication by Dorie Clark¶
Communicating effectively isn't an innate talent that some people have and others don't—it's something that anyone can learn and practice. In this course, learn strategies that can help you hone and master your interpersonal communication skills. Join personal branding and career expert Dorie Clark as she shares techniques for getting your message across effectively in the workplace, and explains how to tackle potential communication challenges with your colleagues and supervisor. She also discusses how to grapple with tricky situations, taking you through how to handle interruptions, respond to critical feedback, and communicate across cultures.
Determine the most appropriate form of communication in a business situation. Identify instances in which one mode of communication is preferable to another mode. Explain the process involved in interpreting nonverbal cues. Define terminology relating to interpersonal communication. Distinguish between various communication approaches with individuals from other cultures. Describe the factors that underlie interruptions during business meetings. Examine the most appropriate ways to accept criticism.
Chapter: 1. Communicating with Your Colleagues¶
Video: How to make requests effectively¶
- Invest in favors first
- Explain the context
- Acknowledge it's a favor
- Point out where interests align
- Express genuine gratitude
Video: When to use the phone or send an email¶
- Simple info to convey
- Different time zones
- Late at night
- Recipient is talkative
- Brainstorming & troubleshooting
- emotional conversation
Video: How to interpret nonverbal cues¶
- Open v.s. closed body language
- Direction feed are pointing
- Mismatched expressions
- Expression of contempt
Chapter: 2. Communicating with Your Supervisor¶
- Rank your current projects
- Make time estimates
- Compare the estimate with your boss
- Confirm project deadlines
Video: Get the guidance you need¶
- Discuss your communication
- Plan regular check-ins
- Develop an emergency plan
- Create a job reference guide
Video: Ask your boss the right questions¶
- What can I be doing that's making your job easier.
- How should I prioritize that?
- Do you see anything I am missing?
Video: Know when to listen and when to speak¶
When to listen
- You don't know the context
- You don't have a strong opinion
When to Speak
- You have a similar project experience to offer
- You have resources to share
- You have a strong opinion
- You have a great question
Chapter: 3 . Communicating in Tricky Situations¶
Video: Communication and cultural differences¶
- Does the cultural values relationships or transactions?
- How direct is the communication style? (European -> direct, American -> middle, Asian -> indirect)
- Is the culture formal or informal?
Video: How to handle an interruption¶
- If you are interrupted, set back and ask questions first,
- Why am I being interrupted?
- Who is interrupting me?
- Discuss one on one
- Disrupt office culture
- Appoint "interruption monitor" (i.e another teammate)
- Brainstorm before meeting
- Asking meeting facilitator to ensure people are heard
Video: How to respond to critical feedback¶
Know who to take feedback from
- Your boss
- Anyone else
Prepare for feedback
- Map out worst case scenario